Tuesday, April 24, 2018

The 3-day weekend to get the club chair

About a month ago I bought an Art Deco club chair on eBay. 



It was pick-up only, in Pennsylvania. What a great excuse to rent a truck, stay overnight, and get the chair on the way home.

I suggested an indoor waterpark resort (duh). But it was $600/night on the weekends, and Ethan didn't really want to go, so Jo and I decided to go on a Sunday night--just us--and take a vacation day on Monday.

Here is our 3-day extravaganza:

Saturday (pre-trip rest day):

We explored Roosevelt Island in the sunshine...




...followed by dinner with Ethan at "Good Enough to Eat"...


...followed by a late night at Chelsea Piers. Jo had never golfed before, but Ethan and I tied for worst shot of the night: we each hit a ball that ricocheted off the front of the deck and ended up behind us. 


Sunday:

En route to Pennsylvania, we decided to take a detour to Chester, NJ, where I lived for a year when I was ten.

We stopped at Taylor's Ice Cream (still there 45 years later)...



...went to the athletic field, where I demonstrated my fifth-grade football form...



...then to my elementary school...


...and the woods behind my old house, where my brother Brad and I had a motorcycle accident in the summer of '73. Jo and I helpfully recreated the event.


We visited my old house... 


...even knocked on the door, took a tour of the inside, and posed on the porch.

Here's me and Brad in '73, for context:


Eventually we made our way to Camelback Lodge, where we were the oldest kids at the waterpark.




Monday:

A few more water slides, then we packed up and headed out to pick up the chair, stopping for lunch at a place called Mission BBQ, which had a big military truck out front.


We picked up the chair, which BARELY fit into the back of our SUV, and headed back to Manhattan.

Exhausted. 

But look! Mission Accomplished!

No comments:

Post a Comment