Saturday, September 16, 2017

It's 2AM

Samuel came home for the weekend. He's asleep on my bed, fully dressed. I went in and kissed his forehead and stroked his hair and whispered that everything will be alright.

Ethan is still up, playing a game on his computer in his bedroom.

I walked the dogs to the deli. The only people on Amsterdam were drunk twenty-somethings coming from the bars. I picked up an orange cream soda for Samuel to have tomorrow, and a diet root beer for me. I told Bobby at the deli that Samuel is home.

I need to go to bed. I'm just enjoying this moment of peace with my boys both here. It doesn't matter that they're in other rooms. They're here with me.

If I were giving advice to Samuel and Ethan, I would say love your own children unconditionally, but after that, spend your energy loving the people who love you back.

It sounds blindingly elementary, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment