Tuesday, May 19, 2015

News from the soiree


Each spring Prospect Agency holds an event for New York book editors to meet its roster of authors and illustrators.

They call the event a "soiree," which makes it sound as if we're going to be nibbling cavier and sipping champagne. In reality there's pizza and soda, which works out better for me anyway.

The first couple of times I went I felt kind of pressured to try to impress the editors, as if I were going to sell a manuscript to an editor at a party. I don't know; I'm competitive.

Finally I learned to just chill and enjoy talking to nice people and stop worrying about what's in it for me. That could be a good prescription for life, I think.

Here are a few upcoming new books from editors I spoke with at the soiree:






No comments:

Post a Comment