Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Handbook of Children and Media


The newly revised edition of "Handbook of Children and Media" came out today. It's a thick textbook with chapters on the impact of media on children by two dozen leading academics.

And me.

I contributed a chapter called "Children and New Technologies."

I was a grad assistant for the editors at Yale back in '91-'93. I wasn't even a Psychology student, but I found children's media research interesting, and they let me work for them, and I took to it. Lo and behold, I managed to get an invite to write a chapter in the first edition of the book, in 2001. Ten years later, I was asked to update my chapter.

Meanwhile, all the other contributors, who were already leaders in their field in 2001, have all advanced their careers another ten years and are now like a Who's Who of children's media researchers.

And then there's me--no PhD, no scholarly articles. Hell, I barely manage to stay employed.

So it looks suspiciously like I hacked into the publisher's computers and inserted a chapter by me as a prank.

But stay with me--it gets funnier.

I have an Amazon Author's Page (as a result of "How About a Kiss for Me?"), and so this book shows up on my Author's Page, and I show up on the book's page.

But apparently none of the other contributors has an Author's Page.

So if you go to Amazon it looks like I'm the sole author of this landmark academic book on children and media.


Oops. Heh-heh.

3 comments:

  1. Hi..Its looking very informative hand book for children..These are also media to attract towards reading..Thanks for sharing.

    raymeds.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I'd run with it! You are, after all, part author.

    ReplyDelete