Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Read-Aloud Marathon


Samuel, Ethan and I just got back from Times Square, where we were volunteer readers at the LitWorld.org 24-Hour Read-Aloud Marathon. The event was to promote global literacy.

The photo doesn't adequately capture the thousands of people gathered around us cheering, chanting our names, holding cigarette lighters in the air for an encore. You'll just have to take my word for it.

Just as Ethan says he doesn't get how walking cures cancer, I'm not sure exactly how many people we converted to literacy, but...who knows? Maybe one or two.

I read my own "How About a Kiss For Me?" (hey, someone has to), followed by Mo Willems' "Knuffle Bunny Free." I found out about the event from Mo's website, so it was a symbolic courtesy, one famous author to another.

But I digress. What were we talking about? Oh, yes. Literacy. I'm in favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment