Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas in NYC


Last night we went down to Rockefeller Center, and guess what? There actually IS a big Christmas tree down there. This morning we woke up and opened our gifts in our own living room.


Tonight, as a gift to ourselves, we saw Pee Wee Herman on Broadway.


It was my idea--I thought it'd be a fun way to spend Christmas in New York. And, to be honest, I have a soft spot in my heart for Paul Reubens, who had the talent to create this lovable character, then almost inadvertently destroyed him. I was rooting for him. I wanted to see him give Pee Wee the chance to go out on a high note. They both deserved that.

If art could only be created by perfect human beings, there'd be no art. Heck, if human beings were perfect, would there be any need for art?

Okay, okay, I don't wanna get all maudlin about Pee Wee, but you know what? The world needs all the redemption it can get, and I for one am willing to settle for it in small doses. I'm happy to report that Pee Wee, like Santa Claus and NYC at Christmas time, is alive and well. Our hearts are all a little bigger.

Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment