Saturday, January 9, 2010

Vet to Todd: "You suck." Todd to Vet: "You suck too."


Bailey is nine months old. Next week he's having his second $1,200 surgery.

We have spent more money on Bailey in the past nine months than most families in Arkansas earn in a year. And we have to feel guilty about it.

The vet asked me if I brush Bailey's teeth. I said no. He said, "Would you be willing to?"

I said, "You mean like once a month?"

He said, "No, once a day."

I said, "We have two dogs, a cat, two kids, and two jobs. The dogs are lucky we remember to feed them."

"What do you feed them?"

"Um...I don't know. Some kind of dry dog food. Comes in a big bag. From the pet store."

Silence.

Okay, Mr. wonderful animal-loving vet, who wants us to feed our dogs organic free-range filet mignon and brush their teeth and give them mani pedis and Swedish massages. You are a better person than I am. But you suck. Here, just keep my credit card.

Bailey, God help you if you ever need another surgery. From here on out you're a Red State dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment