Monday, August 11, 2008

Laundry Lessons


If you want to be reminded how fast your children are growing up, do the laundry. Every week there's at least one article of clothing that gets discarded because the boys have outgrown it.

This week it was Samuel's red "Incredibles" pajamas. They were his favorites two years ago, when they hung somewhat loosely over his 8-year-old body. They had displaced his "Buzz Lightyear" pajamas as favorites, which had probably replaced--I don't remember now--probably Thomas the Tank Engine.

I love whatever age my kids are--I love seeing them reaching new milestones, trying new things, gaining confidence, growing up.

But--eek--I also don't.

I want them to be little boys forever. I want to be able to carry them on my shoulders forever, hear their sweet little giggles under the covers. I want to be able to hug them and hold their hands--and have them want to do the same.

I know the most important part of being a father is instilling love, and I know that will stay with them no matter what age they are, even after I'm gone.

But it's still hard to say goodbye to those little pieces of their childhood that slip away bit by bit, week by week, like the little red PJs of an incredible boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment